Wednesday, September 24, 2008

WFMW: Reusable Swiffer WetJet Pads

I love my Swiffer WetJet, but I hate the required disposable pads. I don't like the expense, and I don't like throwing them out. However, they are only good for one cleaning (if that!) and although I've heard they can be washed, I wanted something more durable. I also wanted something that would stand up to repeated washing and sanitizing. I looked around and my eyes landed on one of my favorite cleaning tools: microfiber cloths. I picked one up, folded it in half, and discovered that it was just about the right size. I figured a couple of layers of terrycloth would provide sufficient absorbency, so I gathered my supplies and sewing machine, and this is what I came up with:

You'll need:

1 Microfiber cloth, 1 terrycloth towel (I used an old hand towel), scissors, thread, and sewing machine.

1. Trim the bound edge from your towel. Discard the trimmed edge.










2. Cut a double layer of terrycloth to fit inside your top and bottom microfiber towel layers. Here I've used yellow rickrack to show where I'll be cutting.










3. Sandwich your terrycloth between the two layers of microfiber towel and zig-zag (or serge) around the edges. Ignore my crooked stitching. I had my sewing machine on the bathroom vanity and was sewing while Chico was in the bath. Also ignore my veiny hands. The rest of me is 33, but my hands are 97.










4. Sew several straight lines across the length of the pad.











5. Attach the pad by pressing it to the bottom of your Swiffer. My microfiber towels have a fairly high pile, so they stick easily. If yours are thinner and refuse to stick, you would remedy that by attaching a little velcro to the bottom. Just follow the positioning of the disposable pads.










6. Take it for a test run on the floor that you just mopped with a disposable pad. Be skeeved out at the amount of grime that the disposable pad missed, especially on a floor that gets mopped every single day.










Here's another secret: You can use a pair of channel locks to wrench the little white cap off of the bottle that holds the cleaning solution and refill it with the cleaner of your choice, even a little vinegar/water/essential oil solution for those of us who try to keep things less toxic.

Clean floors with less environmental impact? That works for me! Visit Rocks in My Dryer for more great WFMW ideas!

8 comments:

just another day in paradise said...

You're AWESOME! I have been complaining to my husband that I would use the swiffer more often if it wasn't so expensive/ineffective. Thanks so much for the tip!!!

Totallyscrappy said...

Brilliant!

SH said...

Wonderful. I knew there had to be a better way. I love my Swiffer WetJet too. But I totally agree about the pads. This is great!

KrustyTheCat said...

Wow you are so talented! really!! I want to try this, but I have no sewing machine. I think I need one for Xmas. lol

Chel - An Abiding Branch said...

WOW!!! I was troubled by the cost even though I bought them at Dollar General and the fact that I had to toss them after one use! THANK YOU!!!
Chel

Leslie said...

This is BRILLIANT! Thank you! My swiffer handle broke and I thought about going out and buying a new one but then remembered how much I kept spending on the pads. I might just go out and buy one again because I sure miss the convenience of it!

Patrice said...

My hero! I must dust off the sewing maching and give this a try! Thanks!

Jo said...

Wow! You are one smart chick!